A collection of production-oriented work examples, regarding the Production Designer opening at Dark Horse Comics.
Please see image descriptions for more information about each individual piece.
Candidate Gone Wild - animated gif
One of a series of differently-sized animated gifs for Willamette Week’s Candidates Gone Wild event, for use on wweek.com
Event branding created in Illustrator, with “neon light” effects added in Photoshop.
Cultivation Classic 2018
One of a series of differently-sized animated gifs for Willamette Week’s Cultivation Classic event, for use on wweek.com
Using a previously established branding guide and components, I rearranged the necessary elements in Photoshop to created the animated sequence.
Willamette Week - Get Busy page
A weekly page design and layout project for Willamette Week which included the following task:
- Photo editing, processing and masking, using Photoshop
- Content and typographic layout, using InDesign
Willamette Week - Get Busy page (Pride edition)
Willamette Week - Music
A page design and layout project for the Willamette Week Music section which included the following task:
- Vector map design, using Illustrator
- Photo editing and processing, using Photoshop
Willamette Week - The Dark Horse Rises
A page design and layout project for Willamette Week’s Books section which included the following task:
Willamette Week - Oni Vision
A page design and layout project for Willamette Week’s Movies section which included the following task:
Willamette Week: Rogues of the Week
A page design and layout project for Willamette Week which included the following task:
- Beer bottle label designs (original illustrations and designs to parody Rogue Brewing beer labels)
- Photographic manipulation of beer bottles to include realistic label placement, using Photoshop
- Graphic and typographic layout of the page, using InDesign
Willamette Week: The Ladies Madonna
- Madonna-themed paper doll illustrations, which act as a fully-functional paper doll (rendered with ink, marker and colored pencil)
- Digital manipulation and clean-up of illustrations, using Photoshop
Ministry "With Sympathy" T-shirt
A T-shirt design, printed and sold at Portland’s Primal Screens print shop. This project entailed the following steps:
- Scanning and digitally disassembling the Ministry album cover
- Creating halftone graphics for each of the three color layers, for proper screen-printing production, using both Photoshop and Illustrator
- Graphic clean-up and enhancement for optimal printed results, using Photoshop, to produce deliverables for Primal Screens
- Bonus points: I actually screen-printed some of the shirts
"Posse Grabs Back" T-shirt
* pop culture!
- Illustration of T-shirt design, using ink
- Scanning and clean-up of design in Photoshop
- Separation of graphics into layers for a two-color printing job to produce deliverables for Primal Screens
Digital illustration for use in a Willamette Week article. Rendered entirely in Photoshop, using a Wacom tablet.
DEVO - Live at Max's Kansas City
Design and production of a Record Store Day exclusive release from Portland’s Jackpot Records. This project entailed the following tasks:
- Photo editing and manipulation, using Photoshop
- Layout and production, using a combination of InDesign and Photoshop, as well as the required record jacket template supplied by the printer
- Typographic layout of the record sticker, using Illustrator and the required sticker template supplied by the printer
A Laser For Lovers poster
Poster design for RESOFAME Record’s A Laser For Lovers motion picture soundtrack release.
Sax Files poster
A “mash up” of the classic UFO poster from The X-Files, with the saxophone-dominated rock song “I Still Believe” prominently featured in The Lost Boys.
(print catalog, traditional typography & layout, professional-level InDesign and Photoshop usage)